[Gllug] Wanted - a calendar with the ability to share and synchronize

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Mar 12 11:43:54 UTC 2006

The recent leaks about Google calendars got me thinking again about a
long term WIBNI of mine.

I use a computer (or several) at home and one at school.  I would like
to have a calendar application which lets me see the same data in both
locations, and potentially lets me share with my wife as well.

I quite like Evolution's calendar interface, but it doesn't seem to have
any synchronisation facilities other than with palm devices and that
doesn't work properly (kept creating multiple copies of every entry when
I had a palm), and there doesn't seem to be any way of deleting To-Do
entries when they are done.  The lack of effective documentation is also
an irritant.

There are various web-based calendars around, but I'm not sure I'm happy
giving all my calendar data to a third party to hold.  It's not
particularly confidential, but if I put "On holiday in Wales" in my
diary for a fortnight I don't necessarily want the information to be
accessible to all the world and his dog.  The 30boxes.com interface is
quite slick, but why does it take 3 seconds of solid CPU usage every
time it pops down a pop-down list?

So - can anyone recommend anything good?  All I want is a reasonably
slick interface (*not* a classic HTML app) and the ability to view it
from two different locations (which don't have any shared network
drives, but do have the possibility of comms via ssh between them).

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk