[Gllug] recommendations for webmail software?

Richard Cohen vmlinuz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 02:48:31 UTC 2006

On 11/02/06, Nick Warrington <nick at littleidea.co.uk> wrote:
> Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> >>Use Imp - part of horde -- www.horde.org
> >>

> >Try Squirrelmail - it's nicely packaged for Debian. I've used Imp in the
> >past, and disliked it because it has no IMAP support itself - it relies
> >no your compiling PHP against the C-client libs, which means you
> >generally can't use distribution provided Apache/PHP packages.
> >
> >Another option, which I've no personal experience with, but I'm
> >interested in, is RoundCube. This is an AJAX app with a very nice
> >interface, and could be the way to go in future.
> >
> >Mike
> >

> I tinkered with both Imp and Squirrel on my Gentoo box. I had to hack
> the source to get Imp to work and ended up a bit disappointed with the
> look and feel once i got it working. I tried squirrel too, but finally
> settled on Roundcube. Super look and feel and easy to set up. Doesn't
> seem to handle big folders too well (like gllug) and I think it's a
> little slow (maybe thats the AJAX), but handles my Courier IMAP server
> just fine, and looks quite swish. (I believe you can also CSS it to add
> your personal touch)
>
> Nick

And to resurrect this thread...

I'm setting up a new server, and since it's going to be hosting my
mum's and sister's mail, it needs webmail...

However, based on previous experience, I've developed a dislike for
PHP, and particularly for off-the-shelf, public-facing PHP
applications.  They just have too much of a history of security and
other problems for me to want to deal with them.  Ideally, I will end
up not installing PHP on the new machine at all.

So... can anyone suggest a reasonable, end-user-friendly webmail
system which *isn't* written in PHP?  Perl would be acceptable, Python
preferable, Ruby, well, who knows...  At the moment, they're using
Squirrelmail and seem to be pretty satisfied with it.  Since this is
for a couple of users, on a relatively low-spec virtual machine (at
bytemark), something which runs under a big stonking application
server like Zope would also not be particularly useful to me.

Yes, I'm being bigoted and picky.  So?

Cheers
Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk