[Gllug] LVM & RAID

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Mar 7 22:20:57 UTC 2006

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006, Rich Walker suggested tentatively:
> Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at uklinux.net> writes:

>>> AIUI, grub does not but LILO does, at least RAID 1. (But my GRUB knowledge
>>> is woefully outdated.)
>>
>> Grub does software raid.
>> http://www.planamente.ch/emidio/pages/linux_howto_root_lvm_raid.php
>
> That's ... a hack ... and a half.

Certainly compared to LILO, for which you pretty much just have to say

boot=/dev/md0
raid-extra-boot=mbr-only

in the lilo.conf.

Oh, and that document is wrong: sticking the whole system in LVM has
always been possible with the aid of an initrd, and even space-efficient
thanks to uClibc and busybox. You have to constrain your /boot LV to be
located only on a single RAID1 PV, but that's unlikely to be killingly
difficult; --contiguous and the PV name as options to lvcreate, and
you're home free.

(Not that I'm using an initrd anymore. The sooner those horrible kludges
die, and pivot_root() along with it, the happier I'll be.)

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk