[Gllug] RHEL Oracle best practices

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat May 27 12:00:51 UTC 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Martin A. Brooks prattled cheerily:
> Yashpal Nagar wrote:
>> Can someone please mail me some stuff like best practices of keeping Redhat Enterprise linux boxes good for Oracle database
>> servers environment
>
> Presumably Oracle, or Redhat, can.

Major warning sign: the term `best practices'. AIUI this means `we want
to do what everyone else is doing so nobody will sue us over it'.

At work I'm very careful to make sure that our development boxes are not
`maintained according to best practices', because the `best practices'
that some of our customers insist we follow on their production machines
make the machines almost unusable. (No bash, X in /usr/openwin, sh ->
pdksh, an Xvfb running all the time with xhost + and DISPLAY in
everyone's environment pointing to that...  I'm amazed RHEL even boots
after what they insist on doing to it. Of course they call these horrors
`best practices'.)

But, hey, they're paying.

--
`On a scale of 1-10, X's "brokenness rating" is 1.1, but that's only
 because bringing Windows into the picture rescaled "brokenness" by
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk