[Gllug] Open Source for charities?

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Fri May 5 08:20:41 UTC 2006

I suppose that the construct:
<RidiculouslyLongTagName val="VALUE" />
does save some space over
<RidiculouslyLongTagName>VALUE</RidiculouslyLongTagName>   !!

What I really love is the way that XML 'documents' that are going to be produced
and processed totally automatically often incorporate long tag names such as:
<TotalNICsTaxAndStudentLoan>            (from Year-end PAYE Return !)

Nice if your going to read the XML file on a screen,  but when such tags are
repeated many times the file often becomes huge with 95% tags and 5% data!

I may be mistaken, but from what I have read the construct:
<grouptag>
<dataitem1>value</>
<dataitem2>value</>
</grouptag>

is not allowed      - which is a pity 'cos it would save an awful lot of
garbage being transmitted !

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk