[Gllug] Phone problems

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri May 19 07:02:34 UTC 2006

Hello,
   I have been chasing an intermittent problem with my BT telephone line for
a few days. First I could not get any dial tone, and it appeared that the
line was being held. This was cured by disconnecting all phone connections
and extension cables from the line. I then received reports of problems with
incoming calls, with BT suggesting a possible fault on the line.
   I noticed a steady hiss on what is normally a quiet line, but early this
morning BT faults tested the line and reported that it is OK. I then managed
to speak to someone from BT Broadband who told me that these problems can
occur during the couple of weeks of tests for ADSL Max. If this is correct,
and was more generally known, BT Faults could have a more peaceful time.
   I have a BT termination box with a split front panel, and the lower half
replaced by a front containing a full BT specification ADSL filter. This has
a very high quality balanced multi-stage filter which passes the full audio
bandwidth but has a sharp cut-off, so is probably passing the lowest of the
test frequencies.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk