[Gllug] Nasty characters creeping in on xorg desktop

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Fri May 19 13:36:51 UTC 2006

> KeyPress event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
>     root 0x4c, subw 0x2a00002, time 19548394, (48,57), root:(720,112),
>     state 0x0, keycode 48 (keysym 0xfe51, dead_acute), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c2 b4) "\xc2\xb4"
>     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XFilterEvent returns: True

Well, I don't know how it got into that state, but just doing:

xmodmap -e "keycode 48 = apostrophe quotedbl"

should fix it. If you're perverse, and want a UK keymap, replace
"quotedbl" with "at". To make the change permanent, stick the quoted
part in ~/.Xmodmap (with RH distributions, at least -- Debian probably
does things differently)

> It is noticeable that one press seems to produce 2 events, whilst 2
> presses produce 5 events.  Odd or what?

It looks like the two dead key presses are combining to emit a third
keypress, being the combination of the two.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk