[Gllug] RuntimeError: could not open display

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Thu May 4 09:29:56 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am trying to get mysql fail over configured on a Red Hat box using the
X based config tool system-config-cluster, the system is.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)

The client I am working from is Ubuntu Dapper with universe but not
multiverse.

I have this script in by .bash_profile which should if I understand it
properly allow me to display remote X progs.

# take your display with you at remote login:
# Put it into your ~/.bash_profile
whoami=`who -ml`
remhost=`expr "$whoami" : '.*(\(.*\))'`
if [ -n "$remhost" ]; then
DISPLAY="$remhost":0.0
export DISPLAY
fi

which should take care of remote logins though the material I was
reading said ssh takes care of this automatically?

http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/January2002/article222.shtml

However when I get this when I run the command.

[root at xxxxx ~]# system-config-cluster
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/system-config-cluster", line 17, in ?
    import MessageLibrary
  File "/usr/share/system-config-cluster/MessageLibrary.py", line 1, in
?
    import gtk
  File
"/usr/src/build/463937-i386/install/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py",
line 37, in ?
RuntimeError: could not open display

I am really at a loss as to what is failing and admit to having never
played with remote X before.

--
Peace Jim :-)

 We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts.
 With our thoughts, we make the world
 -- Buddha

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk