[Gllug] a more intelligent shell

Ben Whyte ben at whyte-systems.co.uk
Mon May 15 08:47:19 UTC 2006

         Just now I type 'grepp' rather than 'grep' and got the familiar
command not found message. This is frustrating and it'd be nice
if it knew that I'd made a typo. This is fraught with UI problems
as I don't want it to ask me really, and I dont want it to
confuse ls with rm, say.            Why not compile a list of
your most common typos and add them as aliases for the commands
you meant to type?  That should significantly reduce the
frustration level with none of the dangers inherent in a DWIM
approach.
 I was just going to say why not use aliases ?

 I have common typos set up as aliases but also some of the more common
command switches as well for example ll is aliased to ls -al.

 Ben

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk