[Gllug] a more intelligent shell

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon May 15 07:55:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 08:17:43AM +0100, Ryland, wrote:

> This theoretical shell could always intercept all syscalls and if it was
> a little uncertain of the spelling corrections it made, it could stop a
> process causing any changes to anything at that level.
>
> But tab completion just seems like a more reliable solution.  Kinda like
> how I would use M-. rather than !$.  It just seems safer.

A much safer approach than having a blacklist of dangerous commands
would be to have a whitelist of safe commands that could be included in
corrections.  Even so, I would not trust it.  For me, the whole point of
the cli is precision and I do not want it second-guessing me.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"