[Gllug] Is anyone else getting download rates near zero today?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri May 5 06:46:47 UTC 2006

On Thu 04 May, Jason Clifford wrote:

> On Tue, 2 May 2006, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> >    As far as I know, my exchange (Acton, 0208992) has been MAX enabled for
> > several years.
>
> Certainly not years. I don't think it was even part of the trial which
> only lasted a few months. Exchanges not taking part in the trial were
> upgraded on March 31st.
>
> Have you sought support?
>
> Jason

   The rate was switching between half decent and near zero most of the bank
holiday weekend, and then returned to normal. Other people complained on the
demon.service newsgroup, but there was no response from Demon/Thus. I was
downloading updated Debian CD's using jigdo, so most of the data was
retrieved from my local cache, and only updated sections ground to a halt
because internet access was required.
   I looked at the PlusNet exchange checker for MAX and read the date
enabled (11 Oct 1999) but that could be the date that ADSL was enabled.
   I heard about the original trials via a GLLUG meeting, but could not
access the BT web pages to apply because I was not using M$. I mentioned
this to a neighbour who applied immediately and was connected within 2
weeks. Some time later I upgraded to a wires-only ADSL contract, and my
neighbour lost his connection on the day I was connected. He did not get
re-connected for 2 weeks, and BT apologised saying that there had been
confusion over some unpaid bills (nothing to do with either of us).
   According to my neighbour the original trial was running at much higher
transfer rates than he achieved later.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk