[Gllug] On the topic (kinda) of bank cards...

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Tue May 2 22:14:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 08:16:24AM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
>    I understood that there was a shared facility that handled transactions
> for many banking organisations.

http://www.apacs.org.uk/

This the one you're thinking of?

There are also organisations/systems like SWIFT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWIFT
http://wife.sourceforge.net/swift_nutshell.php

And then there's SET, the PKI/X.509-based network used by major credit
cards (according to a book which may now be out of date)

and CHAPS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHAPS

They're just some of the ones you'd probably come into contact with in
the UK, although I bet there are tons more...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk