[Gllug] a more intelligent shell

Ryland, Peter peter.ryland at squaregain.co.uk
Mon May 15 07:17:43 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 23:18 +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>         On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 10:35:41PM +0100, Adrian wrote:
>         > > And there lies your problem;  you want it to correct your
>         mistakes
>         > > without any interaction but you don't want it to get it
>         wrong, which
>         > > would require it to be psychic.
>         >
>         >
>         > Err... no. It's fairly easy to specify some commands are not
>         be
>         > "reinterpreted" because they might damage the system. Cannot
>         see how you
>         > can do that with grep though.
>
>         Can you guarantee you'll exclude all the dangerous ones?  Bet
>         you can't.

This theoretical shell could always intercept all syscalls and if it was
a little uncertain of the spelling corrections it made, it could stop a
process causing any changes to anything at that level.

But tab completion just seems like a more reliable solution.  Kinda like
how I would use M-. rather than !$.  It just seems safer.

Pete
--
Please ignore the disclaimer below.  Its addition is out of my control.

This communication is confidential and is intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you are not that person you are not permitted to make use of
the information and you are requested to notify
postmaster at squaregain.co.uk immediately that you have
received it and then destroy the copy in your possession.
Squaregain Ltd is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority and is a member of the LSE.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk