[Gllug] [bit OT] what block size is best for a tape drive?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon May 8 08:27:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 09:17:33AM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> Indeed, and I have turned it on. But is there any point is using it
> (hardware compression) alongside software (bz2 or gzip)?

Use one or the other, not both.
Where ?
If you do it on the computer then you are stealing CPU cycles that could
be used to serve up web pages (or whatever), it depends if you do backup
when the machine would otherwise be idle.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>