[Gllug] Runaway process - squirrelmail/sendmail/php?

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon May 8 08:26:58 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 4, 2006 10:12 am, Adrian McMenamin said:
> After some difficulty (the Ubuntu default install doesn't work) I got
> Squirrelmail installed on my server at home (I'm using it now) but in the
> following 24 hours have been hit twice by some runaway process locking up
> the server.

For the benefit of future readers: I discovered what this was. I have two
scsi tape drives connected to the same scsi controller - one internal, one
external. When the external one was switched off the system was flooded
with interrupt requests. As these are not handled in process context, no
process was seen to be responsible - it was simply by close looking at top
(the % of cpu time under si soaring up and down) and simple
experimentation - switching things on and off that this became apparent.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk