[Gllug] Picasa for Linux

Richard Cohen vmlinuz at gmail.com
Fri May 26 06:06:42 UTC 2006

Google are announcing the release of Picasa for Linux today - their
bought-in photo management/editing software.  It's shipped running
under wine, and Google apparently put a significant amount of work
into wine (in the form of money to Codeweavers) to get it up to a
level where they're happy to ship code running on it.

Note that it's wine, not winelib - that is, this is not a native
binary compiled with a compatibility library, it's a repackaged form
of the standard Windows binary along with a shim layer.

http://tinyurl.com/qgvlo is the announcement on the wine mailing
lists, linking through both to Google Labs (which currently links to a
not found page for the Picasa/Linux) and to a page listing all the
patches to wine which google sponsored.

So, is this a good thing?  Is it good to get stuff 'shipped' to us
running on wine?  Would winelib be better - will we ignore it
until/unless it's a native binary?  On the other hand, is there
already decent and/or better photo management stuff out there?  I've
used gphoto, although not recently, I've seen the output of f-spot and
heard good things about it, and I'm sure there's a kphoto (or
something else starting with a k) out there.  Is it just a nasty
*double* trap, since it's neither open/free nor even native?  Would
that be grumbling for the sake of it?  Are there too many questions in
this paragraph?

Discuss. :-)

Cheers
Richard