[Gllug] Picasa for Linux

salsaman salsaman at xs4all.nl
Fri May 26 07:30:40 UTC 2006

Richard Cohen wrote:

> Google are announcing the release of Picasa for Linux today - their
> bought-in photo management/editing software.  It's shipped running
> under wine, and Google apparently put a significant amount of work
> into wine (in the form of money to Codeweavers) to get it up to a
> level where they're happy to ship code running on it.
>
> Note that it's wine, not winelib - that is, this is not a native
> binary compiled with a compatibility library, it's a repackaged form
> of the standard Windows binary along with a shim layer.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/qgvlo is the announcement on the wine mailing
> lists, linking through both to Google Labs (which currently links to a
> not found page for the Picasa/Linux) and to a page listing all the
> patches to wine which google sponsored.
>
> So, is this a good thing?  Is it good to get stuff 'shipped' to us
> running on wine?  Would winelib be better - will we ignore it
> until/unless it's a native binary?  On the other hand, is there
> already decent and/or better photo management stuff out there?  I've
> used gphoto, although not recently, I've seen the output of f-spot and
> heard good things about it, and I'm sure there's a kphoto (or
> something else starting with a k) out there.  Is it just a nasty
> *double* trap, since it's neither open/free nor even native?  Would
> that be grumbling for the sake of it?  Are there too many questions in
> this paragraph?
>
> Discuss. :-)
>
> Cheers
> Richard

I don't really see this as a good thing. If Google wanted to help the
Linux community, they could have sponsored one or more existing native
projects. If you are using Linux without a dual boot, this move doesn't
help you at all.

I can't really imagine that the lack of this program in Linux is
preventing many people from switching over.

Gabriel.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk