[Gllug] Xen - bit of a ramble

David Abbishaw David at Abbishaw.com
Tue May 16 12:08:54 UTC 2006

Peter" <peter.ryland at squaregain.co.uk> >>Subject: Re: [Gllug] Xen - bit
of a ramble >>To: Greater London Linux User Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk>

> >> Because I had the time and a spare box I tried to install xen at the
> >> weekend. It did not go well.
> >>
> >> Ubuntu failed because the stock binary didn't like LVM and I couldn't seem
> >> to get a new initrd to work. I had the Fedora Core 5 isos downloaded so I
> >> burn them and installed.
>

>There are Ubuntu packages available from this guy:
>
>http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-04/msg00324.html
>
>which installed for me without any problems.
>
>Pete

Every time I have tried to get XEN running its failed to work for me,  I think that my main problem is Ive been trying to use SUSE and get it installed on proper server hardware like IBM X445's and X345's but ever trying on an old Dell 2550 failed for me.  Use an IDE based PC and it does work but then what goods that when you wanted to run it with server hardware.

Probably there is a way to get it to run and I didn't try hard enough but I was disappointed especially with the SUSE distro how poor it was.  Now saying that, it was about 9 months since I last tried and things hopefully have moved on, but now that there are free alternatives from VMware maybe its not worth it.

Just my ramble about XEN :(

David