[Gllug] a more intelligent shell

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon May 15 08:06:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 01:03:59PM +0100, SteveC wrote:

> Just now I type 'grepp' rather than 'grep' and got the familiar command
> not found message. This is frustrating and it'd be nice if it knew that
> I'd made a typo. This is fraught with UI problems as I don't want it to
> ask me really, and I dont want it to confuse ls with rm, say.

Why not compile a list of your most common typos and add them as aliases
for the commands you meant to type?  That should significantly reduce
the frustration level with none of the dangers inherent in a DWIM
approach.

--
Bruce

A problem shared brings the consolation that someone else is now
feeling as miserable as you.