[Gllug] a more intelligent shell

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Sun May 14 21:57:51 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 13:03 +0100, SteveC wrote:
> Just now I type 'grepp' rather than 'grep' and got the familiar command
> not found message. This is frustrating and it'd be nice if it knew that
> I'd made a typo. This is fraught with UI problems as I don't want it to
> ask me really, and I dont want it to confuse ls with rm, say.
>
> Perhaps something like auto-complete in a browser address (not just tab
> completion but showing stuff too) bar but more intelligent so it knows
> something about command line options and can highlight mistakes like
> knowing quotes should be closed or certain options only take numeric or
> string arguments.
>
> Is there stuff like this out there? Was it all fixed in 1982 or
> something?

Well, I've not used it but I've heard people wax lyrical about zsh with
regard to it's auto-completion. A quick look at the user guide[1] shows
that auto-completion appears to be quite configurable. You'll still have
to endure the shell asking you for clarification sometimes though!

Cheers,

Richard.

[1] http://zsh.sunsite.dk/Guide/zshguide06.html
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."