[Gllug] re: USA / civil liberties etc

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Mon May 1 12:14:14 UTC 2006

Alain Williams wrote:
> I don't want one given to me by our totalitarian minded government that I have no
> control over.

I'm actually broadly in favour of the ID card as a replacement for all
the bits of paper I'm currently required to carry around when, for
example, traveling abroad.  Specifically, a combined passport and
driving licence but also incorporating other "goverment issued" ID
tokens, the NI card for example.

One key thing that people don't seem to get is that the ID is _not_ for
_you_ to prove who you are. You can prove who you are as you can provide
finger prints etc which will match those that are on file.

The point of the card is to stop every agent checking your ID having to
refer to the central database each and every time.  Your ID is,
effectively, an authenticated excerpt from the database that you carry
around with you.

The fundamental flaw here is that these cards, as with every other form
of ID every created, will be faked.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk