[Gllug] Is anyone else getting download rates near zero today?

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at uk.clara.net
Sat May 6 21:17:10 UTC 2006

Nix wrote:
>>Any word on the new Usenet News server?
>

> I hear that they're having major binary retention problems: the intent
> is to fix them by printing the feed onto wet tissue paper and retyping
> it all by hand using trained monkeys. With a sufficiently large monkey
> supply this should take perhaps two weeks for the 28Gb of the feed
> that is actually useful.
>
> ;)
>
>  -- N., cancelled his Demon account yesterday

It is becoming increasingly difficult for providers without serious
clout to swallow a full news feed; now in excess of 2TB a day with all
the binary groups, and consequently a lot of ISPs offering News now are
outsourcing to the likes of Giganews with their clearly crazy storage
capacity. A bit of a shame, but there you go.

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk