[Gllug] Xen - bit of a ramble

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon May 15 15:21:13 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 4:19 pm, Daniel P. Berrange said:
> On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 03:44:54PM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>> I had forgotten, of course, that Fedora installs SE Linux by default so
>> when I realised that appeared to be messing up by system I removed the
>> SELinux rpms whereupon I lost bash and much else besides so had to
>> reinstall the whole thing.
>
> Removing RPMs with --force will always result in much pain & suffering,
> the

I didn't use --force. I'm not *that* stupid.

I was just lazy and instead of editing the config I thought removing the
binaries quite legally and properly would be a shortcut. I paid for that
with an hour of my life :)

> Yeah, there was a nasty mid-air collision with that kernel version which
> really screwed up everything - I'm rather surprised it hasn't been pushed
> from 'updates-testing' to 'update' yet considering just how broken -2111
> was.

Indeed.

> you. The Xen stuff is in quite a state of flux so unfortunately rather
> alot of documentation on the web is misleading, just plain wrong, or
> reflects a particular person's home grown solution. Hopefully things
> will settle down somewhat when Xen gets merged in the upstream kernel,
> only time will tell...

I can see this Saturday afternoon project eveolving into many months of
frustration for little reward:)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk