[Gllug] fsck: 'unable to set superblock flags on /1'

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Mon May 15 20:58:31 UTC 2006

Just had a freeze while attemtping to delete the contents of a directory on
Fedora Core 5. Powered off and rebooted then Fedora attempted to repair the
filesystem but insisted I needed to do it manually so dropped me into a
shell. It was taking far too long responding to y/n confirmations for
repairs so I decided to reboot using the Fedora Core 5 Rescue Disk. This
gave me a /mnt/sysimage shell but I then realised running 'fsck' on a
mounted filesystem isn't a good idea. So, I rebooted with Knoppix 3.8,
'umount'-ed the troublesome /dev/hda1 which, curiously, had been
successfully automounted and was readable. Running both 'sudo e2fsck -p
/dev/hda1' and 'sudo fsck -a /dev/hda1' produced the same error: '....
unable to set superblock flags on /1'. What's the source of this problem?
What to do?

Garry
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk