[Gllug] re: USA / civil liberties etc

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 1 11:22:08 UTC 2006

t.clarke wrote:

>On the subject of civil liberties/USA and all that, below is an interesting
>email I received re ID cards !!
>
>[snip]
>

> By itself, you might think that this register is harmless, but you would
> be wrong to come to this conclusion. this new card will be used to check
> your identity against your entry in the register in real time, whenever
> you present it to 'prove who you are'. Every place that sells alcohol or
> cigarettes, every post office, every pharmacy, and every Bank will have an
> NIR Card Terminal, (very much like the Chip and Pin Readers that are
> everywhere now) into which your card can be 'swiped' to check your
> identity.
> Each time this happens, a record is made at the NIR of the time and place
> that the Card was presented. This means for example, that there will be a
> government record of every time you withdraw more than 99 at your branch
> of Nat West, (who will soon demand ID for these transactions) .
> Every time you have to prove that you are over 18, your card will be
> swiped, and a record made at the NIR. Restaurants and off licences will
> demand that your card is swiped so that each receipt shows that they sold
> alcohol to someone over 18, and that this was proved by the access to the
> NIR, indemnifying them from prosecution.

I wonder how long it is since I had to prove I'm over 18? My kids don't
often get asked, indeed the 16 year never has been & it's not like he
never buys beer or wine... If I withdraw >£99, I do so from the ATM. It
has no need nor facility for a 2nd card.. I believe, however, that the
bank do record who withdrew that cash, for some reason of their own...

However, nice troll, yuh..

Mark

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk