[Gllug] OT: HP Officejet 5610

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon May 1 09:51:07 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 07:53:54PM +0100, Mick Farmer wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting one of these for home.  Any
> experiences, good or bad?

I had an HP Officejet 5510 for a while.  The Mac drivers are strange
and flaky, but worked for printing most of the time.  The scanning
tool on Mac was just plain odd and appeared to suffer from a sysv-shm
memory leak which required the computer to be rebooted periodically.
We never really got it to work successfully on Linux, although it is
allegedly possible, and I did have an earlier HP OJ working through
Linux.

The machine itself is cheaply made, and the supplies are ruinously
expensive.  The printer died after about a year and a half of light
use.

I've just bought a Lexmark C522N colour network laser printer on the
advice of someone on this list, and I'm very happy with it.  (Of
course it's not a scanner or fax machine).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk