[Gllug] Restricting Process Visibility

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Wed May 17 13:50:41 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I have a tricky situation to resolve which is really the result of
poor management, but which I have been elected to fix.

I have a number of app servers which will be running a custom
application inside weblogic.  Originally, the architecture was
desigend around one client using the platform.  This has changed, and
now multiple independent clients will be sharing the platform.

I've been tasked to ensure this happens in the most secure way possible.

I've made good progress with imposing limits using pam, and chrooting
the users, and giving them limited power via sudo and wrapper scripts.

However, I have also been asked to restrict visibility of processes
between users, and am not sure how best to do this, or even the extent
to which this is possible.  For example, users should not be able to
extract process information belonging to anyone other than themselves,
either from userland tools, or from /proc.

Quite aside from the demerits of secuirty by obscurity, my initial
response has been to say the whole site needs to be redesigned around
a virtualisation technology, but this has been rejected.

My restrictions are RHEL 3 and 2.4 kernel.

Other than horrid hacks like aliasing ps to something that shows only
the user's processes, can anyone suggest a way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk