[Gllug] Restricting Process Visibility

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed May 17 14:14:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 02:50:41PM +0100, Steve Nelson wrote:
> I have a number of app servers which will be running a custom
> application inside weblogic.  Originally, the architecture was
> desigend around one client using the platform.  This has changed, and
> now multiple independent clients will be sharing the platform.
>
> I've been tasked to ensure this happens in the most secure way possible.
>
> I've made good progress with imposing limits using pam, and chrooting
> the users, and giving them limited power via sudo and wrapper scripts.
>
> However, I have also been asked to restrict visibility of processes
> between users, and am not sure how best to do this, or even the extent
> to which this is possible.  For example, users should not be able to
> extract process information belonging to anyone other than themselves,
> either from userland tools, or from /proc.
>
> Quite aside from the demerits of secuirty by obscurity, my initial
> response has been to say the whole site needs to be redesigned around
> a virtualisation technology, but this has been rejected.
>
> My restrictions are RHEL 3 and 2.4 kernel.
>
> Other than horrid hacks like aliasing ps to something that shows only
> the user's processes, can anyone suggest a way to accomplish this?

Yes, it is basically impossible. At very best you can 'obscure' other user's
processes by wrapping 'ps' & other similar commands, but any mildly clueful
person could see all they want from /proc. There is no way to remove /proc
without breaking a boatload of tools.

As you say this kind of thing you'd need some form of virtualization, or
a Solaris Zones equivalent - I can't remmber the name of the Linux equiv,
but its pretty damn far from being accepted in upstream kernel, so you're
out of luck there too :-(

Dan.