[Gllug] Linux friendly graphics card

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat May 20 13:42:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, 19 May 2006, tethys at gmail.com moaned:
> ATI Radeon 9250. It's the fastest card for Linux that has accelerated
> open drivers from 3D. I have them (or the slightly older 9200) in all
> bar one of my machines, and they're more than fast enough for even
> quite intensive graphical work, particularly if you're not playing
> first person shooters. Highly recommended.

Seconded. (It doesn't rule out all first-person shooters, either; it's
quite fast enough for oolite, for instance.)

> If you're not doing 3D at all, then any card should be fine. I have a
> Radeon X800 in my other box, which is blazingly fast for 2D work, but
> if you want 3D, you'd need to resort to ATI's binary only driver[1].

It's lookign increasingly likely that 3D will be used for *all*
rendering in the not too terribly distant future...

--
`On a scale of 1-10, X's "brokenness rating" is 1.1, but that's only
 because bringing Windows into the picture rescaled "brokenness" by
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk