[Gllug] Linux friendly graphics card

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Fri May 19 16:01:22 UTC 2006

On 5/19/06, john levin <john at technolalia.org> wrote:

> Is it realistic to go for 'open' graphics cards? If so, which ones?
>
> I'm not a gamer, but I do some film/graphics editing, and really need
> something that can support 2 (or more) monitors.

ATI Radeon 9250. It's the fastest card for Linux that has accelerated
open drivers from 3D. I have them (or the slightly older 9200) in all
bar one of my machines, and they're more than fast enough for even
quite intensive graphical work, particularly if you're not playing
first person shooters. Highly recommended.

If you're not doing 3D at all, then any card should be fine. I have a
Radeon X800 in my other box, which is blazingly fast for 2D work, but
if you want 3D, you'd need to resort to ATI's binary only driver[1].

Tet

[1] Not strictly true. The r300 project has accelerate drivers for the
X800, but it's a bit bleeding edge, and I don't think any of the
mainstream distributions are shipping it yet. You'd probably need to
compile it up from source yourself.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk