[Gllug] Pound sign!

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed May 24 19:44:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Richard Jones uttered the following:

> When I ssh to a particular remote server and use emacs, for some
> reason I cannot type the GBP (pound) sign.
>
> (Since I'm using the same emacs to type this message, I can't type the
> pound symbol here either ...)
>
> There is no .emacs file on this machine.
>
> Where should I start looking?

What does `C-h l' (`view-lossage') report you have pressed when you
hit that key?

(A good way to track it down is to hit the problematic key a few dozen
times, and then look at C-h l. If the key got through at all, the long
sequence of repeats should stick out a mile.)

Once you know that, you can stick appropriate `define-key' calls into
the $lispdir/term/xterm.el file to fix it permanently. (Subtitute
the value of $TERM for `xterm'.)

Tou can't do that in vi.[1]

[1] troll Tet? Me?

--
`On a scale of 1-10, X's "brokenness rating" is 1.1, but that's only
 because bringing Windows into the picture rescaled "brokenness" by
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk