[Gllug] Restricting Process Visibility

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed May 17 15:03:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 14:50 +0100, Steve Nelson wrote:

> Quite aside from the demerits of secuirty by obscurity, my initial
> response has been to say the whole site needs to be redesigned around
> a virtualisation technology, but this has been rejected.
>
> My restrictions are RHEL 3 and 2.4 kernel.

Just what IS it with the IT industry?
If an engineer in the aerospace industry was told:
"OK - we have an old DC10. I'd like you to bolt jet engines to the top
of the wings, and while you're at it add an upper deck with a jacuzzi
for the passengers"
Then the answer:
"No - we can't do this, and people would die if we did" is perfectly
acceptable.

In the IT industry - oh no, don't mess with anything. Bolt on what you
like, to the point where the plane can't take off.  But we don't know
what will happen if we buy an Airbus.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk