[Gllug] Fwd: [opensuse] Invitation to OpenSUSE developers

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Sat Nov 25 16:23:01 UTC 2006

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 09:52:10AM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 09:09:11PM +0000, john levin wrote:
> > Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > >
> > >This is the same Ubuntu which has yet to make any public statement wrt
> > >to their corporate position on software patents, whether pro or against.
> > >The same Ubuntu which knowingly ships software which *is* patent
> > >encumbered - mp3 codecs;
> >
> > Ubuntu doesn't ship with mp3 codecs.
>
> Since they can't be patented in the UK (or indeed Soth Africa), it's
> unclear why they shouldn't.

There is a large list of patents covering MP3 which have been granted
by the European Patent office and thus apply in the UK, even if the
UK patent office itself wouldn't typically grant them. I must admit
though I'm a little fuzzy on how tenable these patants are given that
the general concept of software patents was explicitly rejected in
the EU last year.

http://www.mp3licensing.com/patents/

Dan.