[Gllug] Fwd: [opensuse] Invitation to OpenSUSE developers

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Sun Nov 26 11:13:50 UTC 2006

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> There is a large list of patents covering MP3 which have been granted
> by the European Patent office and thus apply in the UK, even if the
> UK patent office itself wouldn't typically grant them. I must admit
> though I'm a little fuzzy on how tenable these patants are given that
> the general concept of software patents was explicitly rejected in
> the EU last year.

That the patents office has accepted and granted a patent does not mean it
is enforcable. EU law specifically rejects software patents and they are
not covered under the CPDA.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98