[Gllug] SNMP gurus?

Simon Morris sm at fsfe.org
Fri Nov 17 12:40:21 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 10:58 +0000, Alex Sayle wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> I'm not SNMP guru but if there's no-one else I'd be happy to clobber
> together something with you or for you as I'm currently looking at
> monitoring tools (SNMP being one of them, OpenIPMI polling being
> another)

Hi Alex,

No-one else has approached me and I'd like for you to do it if you are
happy to.

In my mind I was thinking....

* Introduction to SNMP

	* What it actually is
	* Which RFCs reference it
	* Quick overview of GET, SET, TRAP

* The OID Database

	* Analogy to DNS as to how the namespace is hierarchical
	* Common OID objects
	* Private namespace OIDs
	* The concept of connecting a bash script to your own OID ( I have
working examples of this if you like)

* SNMP command line tools demonstration

	* Pulling a tree of objects with snmpwalk
	* Pulling specific objects with snmpget

* SNMP applications

	* Overview and screenshots of:

		* Nagios
		* rrdtool
		* Cacti
		* Munin
		* Finish with OpenNMS

* Q&A.

I would say 20 minutes plus 5 Q&A so we can have a break before the main
presentation.

If you need any help at all just let me know!.. and also.. if you don't
want to do it after this brief just shout.

Thanks

~sm