[Gllug] mail2web.com and similar ways of reading POP or IMAP

Andrew Black andrew-li at black1.org.uk
Mon Nov 20 21:51:02 UTC 2006

Hi there
For some time I have been using mail2web.com for the rare times I have
neither got access to an IMAP client nor can SSH to the server hosting
my mail.

I have recently found they have a rather simplistic view of sending
mail. If you send mail to xxx at domain.example it tries sending it to
domain.example!  Attempts to interest their support monkeys in
understanding what an MX record is are falling on deaf ears.  They keep
blaming the mail server at domain.example for "bouncing" the mail when
the problem (as far as I can diagnose) is they are trying to send it to
the wrong host!

The problem has been noticed on more than one domain where the domain
has MX record(s) but no A records.

So I am inclined to ditch them, unless anyone else can take the issue up
in parallel with me. So any suggestions for a cluefull alternative way
of reading POP or IMAP mail.

Andrew

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk