[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

TreeBoy gllug at petethetree.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 23:04:17 UTC 2006

Hi trousers. (!)

The biggest issue that you will have is deciding which widget set or library
to target.

I find KDE to be simplest because KDevelop makes developing Qt apps very
simple, because the "Hello World" app always works on every distro. This is
mostly geared towards C++ though.

The equivalent in Gnome is Anjuta, but the number of issues in getting simple
apps even to compile (in Debian anyway) can be quite problematic. Sourceforge
is chocka with queries about getting the "Hello World" sample to work! Using
the C++ bindings with Gnome can be a little unusual.

Alternatively, there are just bog standard POSIX C or C++ apps using either X
or Curses, but this may not necessarily be that advertisable in the job
market...

So please identify your target first.

Then download one of the many books for your target environment.

You may detect a hint of bias in what I've written so far, and I'm about to
reinforce that by suggesting you download one of the books from here:

http://www.phptr.com/promotions/promotion.asp?promo=1484&redir=1&rl=1

Note that there are many other free books here too!

Cheers,