[Gllug] Microsoft announces deals with Lynux !

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Nov 4 11:22:47 UTC 2006

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 11:12:03AM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 11:08:05AM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
>
> > I say again, what are the patents?  Patent numbers please.  Until then
> > this is all FUD.
>
> The trouble is that it makes sense for many companies to pay the 10K
> ''protection money'' that the patent racketeers demand - since this
> will be cheaper than paying barristers to argue for you.

For companies perhaps, but for individual developers paying 10K (or
even 1K) is most often not an option.  That is why this is all FUD
until we know what patents they're talking about.  Everyone's going
around saying that Microsoft "own" OpenXML yet there is surprisingly
no analysis whatsoever involving actual patent numbers.  I think this
is classic (and brilliant) FUD on Microsoft's part.  You've got to
hand it to them.  Read Microsoft's "Convenant not to sue"
[http://www.microsoft.com/office/xml/covenant.mspx].

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.