[Gllug] Data protection/police powers/DNA database: survey

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 4 03:21:45 UTC 2006

Nix wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2006, tethys at gmail.com uttered the following:
>
>> On 11/2/06, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> What do you think of the police collecting everyone's DNA in a big database ?
>>>
>>> It won't be abused or will it ?
>> Stupid question. Of course it will be abused.
>
> I'm obviously stupid, but how can you abuse DNA?

Oh dear - you're not nearly cynical enough. Abusing it is easy - you
just subcontract management of the samples to a private company, and
then don't pay any attention to what they actually do with the stuff:-

http://www.spy.org.uk/spyblog/2006/07/more_national_dna_database_controversy.html

Of course once everyone's on the database, don't you think insurance
companies would start salivating at the chance to get a "life risk"
profile from it, and price accordingly?

Then there's the people who'd like to get hold of a sample of someone
else's DNA. A bit of replication, and careful placement of a sample
could frame someone quite well, I'd have thought. Particularly given the
fact that DNA evidence is being represented as the proof absolute these
days.

Then there's this wonderful titbit:-

"The Human Genetics Commission, which advises the Government on these
issues, has said that the samples should be destroyed once the DNA
profiles (the string of numbers used for identification purposes) have
been obtained from them. We now know that’s not happening. In fact, The
Observer revealed that a private firm has been secretly keeping the full
DNA samples along with highly personal demographic details of the
individuals including their names, ages, skin colour and addresses."

Full article at:-

http://www.lynnefeatherstone.org/column104-dna-database.htm

There is clear evidence that the database, even in the early stage it's
at now, is already being abused. The full extent of the abuse, and the
implications aren't yet obvious, but it's abundantly clear that there
needs to be a debate about it. The proposed privatisation of the
Forensic Service is another source of alarm.

The thing is there's clear evidence that a lot of good can come from a
DNA database - police are cleaning up old crimes that they couldn't do
any other way. However, the database as it is now, where the police can
forcibly take DNA from anyone without any grounds at all, and the
subject can never have the profile deleted, much less the tissue sample
destroyed or removed from private sector hands, is a nightmare in the
making. There needs to be an open (and unbiased) debate, solid
safeguards, and severe penalties for officials who don't behave. Sadly
this government isn't likely to go for any of those things, as we've
seen time and again with all their other authoritarian legislation.

Mike