[Gllug] Microsoft announces deals with Lynux !

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Sat Nov 4 03:47:52 UTC 2006

On 03/11/06, Simon Morris <sm at fsfe.org> wrote:
> So.. does this say that software developed by Novell for GNU/Linux
> systems can be used by Novells customers without fear of patent
> enforcement by Microsoft?
>
> Does that apply to users of other distributions or is Novell now looking
> at including more non-free software in their products?
>
> Either way - this announcement stinks :(

And it's a bit strange as well.  I'm thinking along the lines of a
member of the SUsE community releasing their work under the GPL, then
another distro also including it.  Is that then covered by the patent
amnesty, or would MS then go after the users of the other distro's
package?  If that is indeed the case, then anyone could then just say
"I'm a SuSE community member" and bingo, instant protection.

So either MS doesn't understand this is possible (unlikely!) or I've
missed something.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk