[Gllug] Whinges - was SwitchedOnUK

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Sun Nov 26 13:26:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 03:07:58PM +0000, Peter Cannon wrote:
> On Friday 24 November 2006 14:47, Alain Williams wrote:
>
> > > Needless to say, I will never buy from that company again.
> >
> > And neither will your mates ... this is what they don't realise.
>
> Now thats interesting in my experience Acer has come on in leaps and bounds
> and currently I recommend their kit over Dell.

My brief experiences with Acer have been fairly decent too. A fan on a
laptop started to become noisy within the warranty period. They
collected it, couldn't guarantee that it would be less than a few weeks,
but it was back with us within about a week or so.

I'm sure if they didn't have the part, there would have been quite a
delay, but their service was excellent that time. I called a couple of
times to enquire about progress, and was quite satisfied with what I was
told.

The only other experience I've had recently with them is that we bought
an extended 3 year warranty with an Acer laptop. What a palava!

You get a couple of stickers, together with a username and a password.

You stick 1 sticker to the laptop.
You log into the acer support site with the provided login details and
fill in a registration form (this is quite a complex procedure, with
lots of boxes to fill in). At the end of the form, a PDF file is
generated, which you have to print out.
You then sign and date this form, and stick the other sticker to it.
You then post this signed form, together with the purchase invoice for
the laptop to Acer.
Acer eventually reply with a certificate which you keep on file.

I might've missed a step or two, or misremembered one or two details,
but that was essentially it.