[Gllug] Getting technical about email

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 16:42:56 UTC 2006

I'm a simple-minded soul who's being using email for around twenty
years, but have always relied on other people to deal with the sysadmin
side. I've just been happy to be an end-user. Okay, I'm a sophisticated
end-user, with eighteen or twenty email accounts and a filtering system
that does all my filing for me, but an end-user nonetheless.

But my home setup is getting ever more complicated - Linux PCs
networked with Windows PCS, not to mention my laptop - and, as I've
added more machines, I've set up independent email systems on each one.

It occurs to me that I'm now the state where it would be simpler to set
up an email server and have a single email system across my home
network.

What I need is to understand how an email server would work. I've
really got to know this before I can design the optimal setup.

So any recommendations as to what I should read (books, web pages,
whatever)? Note that I'm not asking for software recommendations
(although feel free to name names if it makes a point) but rather for
help in understanding how things work and what I need to do,

--
 All the best,
 John