[Gllug] Getting technical about email

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Thu Nov 9 17:02:01 UTC 2006

On Thu, November 9, 2006 4:42 pm, John G Walker wrote:
> I'm a simple-minded soul who's being using email for around twenty
> years, but have always relied on other people to deal with the sysadmin
> side. I've just been happy to be an end-user. Okay, I'm a sophisticated
> end-user, with eighteen or twenty email accounts and a filtering system
> that does all my filing for me, but an end-user nonetheless.
>
> But my home setup is getting ever more complicated - Linux PCs
> networked with Windows PCS, not to mention my laptop - and, as I've
> added more machines, I've set up independent email systems on each one.
>
> It occurs to me that I'm now the state where it would be simpler to set
> up an email server and have a single email system across my home
> network.
>
> What I need is to understand how an email server would work. I've
> really got to know this before I can design the optimal setup.
>
> So any recommendations as to what I should read (books, web pages,
> whatever)? Note that I'm not asking for software recommendations
> (although feel free to name names if it makes a point) but rather for
> help in understanding how things work and what I need to do,

Well, I was in a similar position about eight months ago and set myself up
with Sendmail first of all - I actually have two machines handling mail.
One receives mail for newgolddream.dyndns.info and the other acts as a
"smarthost" relaying outbound mail via Homechoice's SMTP server (also
picking upmail from various POP accounts).

A few weeks ago I swapped the sendmail on the newgolddream box for Postfix
and it is much, much simpler.

Happy to help on or off list