[Gllug] Multiple ADSL splitters

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Thu Nov 16 11:49:44 UTC 2006

Chris Bell wrote:

>On Wed 15 Nov, Ken Smith wrote:
>

>>Chris Bell wrote:
>>

>>I got the master socket moved on a Bulldog LLU ADSL service in a similar
>>situation where there wasn't room near the master socket for the ADSL
>>router. Also it was in a basement where the wireless on the router would
>>never work. I had tried a 10m CAT 5 extension on the ADSL router side of
>>the filter but the ADSL signal almost vanished in it. The filter output
>>must be very sensitive to the load represented by that extension. Once
>>the socket was moved all was perfect.
>>
>>Ken
>>

>   I assume you did use a single twisted pair from the Cat5 cable, not just
>two wires.
>   Cat5 cable may not match the impedance of standard telephone cable,
>perhaps because the pairs have more twist, (sometimes a different amount of
>twist for each pair), although I would have expected a short length to work.

Yes, exactly that, I handwired the cable (bodged it together to test)
and the connection speed dropped from around 5meg to about 1meg and the
snr deteriorated from around 12db to about 7. The connection kept
failing. I suspect that the filter didn't like the impedance of the long
length of cable with an ADSL router hanging on the end.

Ken

believed to be clean.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk