[Gllug] SwitchedOnUK

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Thu Nov 16 13:02:22 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, James Roberts wrote:

> Jason Clifford wrote:
> > In practice IP telehony is very reliable these days. You'd only get
> > latency issues if you have a poor IP connection. BT have plenty of
> > bandwidth and a good network to push this over.
>
> Hah! You *have* to be kidding! :)

I doubt he is, Jason knows quite a bit about these things (clue - check
his sig :)

> Given a 2Mbps SDSL 10:1 inter-office line, and a good backbone provider,
> we cannot reliably provide 30 users with connectivity interoffice
> (average use 10 lines at a time). This is *supposed* to support 50 users
> at the two office with 2Mbps out at teach end.

What else goes over that connection ?

At 10:1 contention that means you may at times only get 204kbit/s. I'd
class that into the "poor" category.

You need a 1:1 contention if you're running lots of concurrent calls.

Are you running any QoS on the link, esp if you;re running anything else
over it.

> We have told out client to go back to pots. Alternative: leased line for
> VoIP. Economies? Hah!!

Compared to a leased line for inter-pbx private traffic then yes as it can
be shared with other data traffic or at least a backup as part of your
business continuuity provision.

> This system is supplied by a major VoIP supplier, who say 'none of our
> other clients suffer from this'. But I have talked with some of the
> 'other clients' and they are *not* in accord with this view.

Name and shame then. Who is the backbone provider and who the major VoIP
supplier. If they're rubbish then we should be told !

> But VoIP as a replacement for backbone voice connectivity? Not ready for
> prime-time IMHO. Don't care *how* many resellers there are...
>
> Gawd 'elp us if they are moving the whole backbone to IP...

Do think they've tested it or did a smarmy telco salesman in a shiny suit
convince them it was futureproofed ?

Simon.

--
"So long and thanks for all the fish"