[Gllug] Microsoft announces deals with Lynux !

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Nov 3 11:09:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> Hasve to say I agree with this analysis, though I'd also estimate, but not
> scientifically, that Linux desktop usage is now pushing close to 1%, which
> is maybe four times more than it was five years ago when I booted my
> RedHat 7.3 (?) system for the first time. It's not much but it is still a
> growing share in a growing market, meaning we'd be at Mac OS X usage
> levels by the end of the decade :-/

I don't see Linux desktop usage taking off at all until there is a
sufficient spread of high quality and easy to use applications to meet
users needs and until it is far easier to run games on a Linux desktop (or
there is a suitable move to consoles for gaming).

Given that developers tend to write only to meet their own needs and few
really consider ease of use for OTHERS there needs to be a real change in
approach before that happens - or we need a significant increase in
commercial application development for Free Software platorms.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98