[Gllug] Microsoft announces deals with Lynux !

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Nov 3 11:21:42 UTC 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 11:09:00AM +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> I don't see Linux desktop usage taking off at all until there is a
> sufficient spread of high quality and easy to use applications to meet
> users needs and until it is far easier to run games on a Linux desktop (or
> there is a suitable move to consoles for gaming).

It's not going to take off until the Dells and HPs of this world stop
being afraid of Microsoft's licensing deals and marketing kickbacks
and start putting desktop Linux on the machines they ship.  This may
happen as PC hardware starts to become so cheap that the percentage of
the sale price spent to license Windows because unsustainable, but I
wouldn't hold my breath.  In any case if this ever became a
significant threat, MS would temporarily reduce their prices -- a
classic monopoly tactic.

None of this has anything to do with the quality or otherwise of Linux
desktop applications, which are perfectly sufficient for the casual
web/email user.  If there was some irreplaceable killer app that
Windows had, then Macs wouldn't be so popular either.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Internet Marketing and AdWords courses - http://merjis.com/courses - NEW!