[Gllug] Multiple ADSL splitters

Gundemarie Scholz spamyousilly at inbox.ru
Tue Nov 14 13:13:22 UTC 2006

Matthew King wrote:
> I am rewiring the telephones in my house and need advice from real
> people rather than websites.
>
> At a previous place of employment we have used this:
>
>       ___                   ___
> \    |   |                 |   |
>  \   | F |-ADSL-(nothing)  | F |-ADSL--Modem--LAN
> BT|--| L |                 | L |
>  /   | T |-POTS------------| T |-POTS--Telephone extensions
> /    |_R_|                 |_R_|
>
> The above setup worked fine (except that BT came from a crappy reseller
> who kept crossing lines in their equipment).

Are you really sure it worked like this? The above setup should prevent
any frequencies used for ADSL to arrive on the POTS port of the first
splitter so they should not even arrive at the second splitter.

> There were two filters because between them was the building's (crappy -
> Ashley knows what I mean) wiring and I never got around to removing the
> first one.
>
> The question I have is that I want to do something similar in my home
> but websites all seem to recommend against having DSL on anything other
> than the ADSL side of the first filter.

They recommend it? I only have seen sites saying it is impossible, and
from my understanding of how it works I agree.

>       ___                   ___
> \    |   |                 |   |
>  \   | F |-ADSL-(nothing)  | F |-ADSL--Modem--LAN
> BT|--| L |                 | L |
>  /   | T |-POTS----+-------| T |-POTS--Telephone extensions
> /    |_R_|         |       |_R_|
>                    +-----More telephone extensions
>
> So will this work and if not, why not?

>From my knowledge it should not be working at all. But what I have in my
house is approximately this setup, could yours be similar?

\    +--------+    +--------+
 \   | Master |----| filter |---- POTS
BT|--| socket |    |        |---- ADSL
 /   |    |   |    +--------+
/    +----+---+

          +--------------------| other  |----| filter |---- POTS
                               | socket |    |        |---- ADSL

That way it is possible to use the house wiring up to the room where you
want to plug in the ADSL modem. The signal quality gets worse though
with increasing length of the cable, and my personal experience was that
my line speed was very low up to the point of being unusable, so I ended
up getting the modem as close to the master socket as I could get and
rather run an ethernet cable to where I needed it.

Regards,
Gunde
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk