[Gllug] [JOB] - Perl developer in Linux environment

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Nov 10 17:17:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:04:31 +0000 (GMT) Jason Clifford
<jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:

> It's not really all that well paid.
>
> Once you cover your overheads (company costs, accounting costs, tax,
> insurance, pension, etc) so as to provide the same benefits an
> employee has you are paid about the same as an employee.
>
> Many contractors are actually worse off due to a tax rule called IR35
> which means they are taxed as an employee would be but get none of
> the benefits!

About twenty-five years ago, I read an article in which someone had
calculated that a contractor had to earn about 250% of an employee's
wage to be on the same real income, due to the factors Jason cited. I
don't know how that figure stands up now that IR35 is in operation,

--
 All the best,
 John