[Gllug] [JOB] - Perl developer in Linux environment

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Nov 10 18:22:12 UTC 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, John G Walker wrote:

> About twenty-five years ago, I read an article in which someone had
> calculated that a contractor had to earn about 250% of an employee's
> wage to be on the same real income, due to the factors Jason cited. I
> don't know how that figure stands up now that IR35 is in operation,

If you are caught by IR35 you are only allowed 5% of your income to cover
all expenses. The rest is treated as employment earnings and you are
required to pay full income tax, employers NI and employees NI on it.

>From your net income you then need to cover things like pension
contributions, etc. Don't forget that although a contractor pays full
employment taxes they will usually be refused any state benefits if they
are unable to work.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98